Thursday, 15 November 2007

The comments game

This post isn't a rant. It's a general reflexion on life on the web. I don't want you to think I'm grumpy and ungrateful... Comments are parts of blogs, and I think it's an interesting subject of discussion, so please leave a comment to express your views.

I'm telling you, I'm feeling left out of the stitchers world at the moment, my blog seems to appear rarely on other blogs blogrolls, and I get fewer and fewer comments. Dunno what happened. Is it because I moved my blog? Someone suggested a while ago it was because I used to post everyday, then only a few times a week (when I moved) but now I post everyday again, but I still only get 3 comments a post. In comparison, some people post only like once every 2 months and get 10 comments in 12 hours.

As a scientist, I can't help but wonder what the mecanisms of the comments work. I know that I'd be fed up and lacking inspiration to comment on posts showing wips everyday. What can you say? "great progress!!!", "well done!!!", and this also goes for finished pieces, apparently. I'm the first to suffer from "I want to comment, but I can't find anything interesting to say other than "congratulations", and anyway someone had already wrote it".

So I'm trying to talk about other things that might get reactions. Obviously I fail in a spectacular way these days. But it's not like I have a fascinating life. I can't even tell you about the kids I don't have. So what should I talk about?

Talking about gardening and my life was a big bust.
Showing new finishings, personal patterns and personalisation of established designs didn't provoke much reaction either.
Making a tutorial? Didn't seem to touch anybody...

So what?

I suppose you have to factor in the fact that, like love, if you are looking for it, you don't get it. So no comments for me...

Now, visits wise... I see the blog move didn't affect the number of visitors. More than that, 50% of visitors arrive from the old blog. Meaning I should keep the old page as is...
But what is interesting is that comparing to last November (a year ago), I only have 3/4 of the visits I ihad back then. So... what changed?

Normally you should expect more and more visits on a website. So decrease is not normal. I know my website is well indexed in google, but people don't really reach me this way. Most visitors are returning ones, not coming from other blogs either.

So I feel disillusioned by the whole thing. I don't care about the number of visits. What I'm really looking for is contact with other stitchers. But in a way I feel there's nothing really new to talk about. I guess I'm not the only one feeling that...

Now it's your turn to express your views on the subject !!!
Post a Comment