Monday 29 October 2007

Beginning of a new area of the blog...

Ok, my blog has to move to Blogspot for good. When I saw my website has been disactivated because of spam, and the comments database has been delated, I thought it was very unfair. After all, I'm the victim of people programming robots to pollute my website, and I get punished? Of course, the server is a victim as well, and in order to run smoothly they have to take drastic mesures. Can't be mad at them. But I'm mad at the spammers.

I asked for reactivation of my website, and I will remove any automatic commenting system from there. Meaning my blog has to move to the emergency blogspot place. The design is a bit... hum... But we will moving to a more winter one soon, so... Not to mention that this happens of course when I have virtually no time to work on a design while DBF is there, and we have better things to do.

I'm not really surprised I have to make more changes, as I'm in a changing period. But it also helps to see what is important.

For exemple, what if I loose my website? Would I want to spend the time and effort to create a new one? What for?

Like many others, I feel a bit demotivated by blogging. I love comments, but I understand that if I only show pictures after pictures of stitching, it ends up to be quite the same over time. I don't even feel attracted to new techiniques that could add something to the blog.

One thing I find really useful for me on a personal level is the Gallery. So I know when I made what, and what thread conversions I made. So I hope to get that back.

But for the rest, it feels a bit presomptuous thinking updates are so interesting to people. Once I get my website back, I'll try and get most of the infos on it sorted. It will take time....

5 comments :

Chiloe said...

I do think update are interesting but it's my opinion. After it depends on what you expect from blogging ... I do sometimes think: is it worthy? French bloggers can get up to 60 comments for a single post. I never got more than 10 I think. But I blog mostly for me.

Jo said...

You can buy your own domain and webspace for as little as £15 per year, which would be adequate for a blog and your site.

Whilst free sites are often good, they always have that hold over you, and can change or suspend or whatever without notice.

I also use the Akismet spam block on my blog (wordpress) and it stops a lot of the spam from getting through. Moderating comments (although a pain) can also work.

AngelSan said...

Not sure I feel like paying for my blog and website... I would need a place with at least 100Mb space, unlimite bandwith, mysql, php, able to use wordpress on it... I guess that would be more than 15 pounds a year anyway.

I was using Askimet for spam, I suppose that's why I didn't realise how much space it was taking on the server... as the spam is still in the mysql table, but it's just not shown on the blog...

Jo said...

Domains are roughly £5 per year.

For £10 with the company I use you can get 500mb of space of 10gb of bandwidth.

Mysql, php, all that stuff is standard.

That is their lowest package.

http://dream-hosting.co.uk

I have been with them for a while and I've had no complaints at all. Both through my personal account and through work. I have had no downtime on my site and any glitches I have had (which wasn't anyone's fault) they fixed straight away.

I don't work for them and they don't pay me for advertising, I just think they're really good.

At the end of the day hon you get what you pay for, and free sites although they often look good, have many many hidden catches.

Jo said...

PS please don't ever be fooled by "unlimited bandwidth" it simply doesn't exist and those who offer it will either suspend your site at a minute's notice citing that you have used too much bandwidth, or have constant downtime.

10gb of bandwidth should actually be sufficient. The site I maintain for work gets a minimum of 500 hits per day, it has galleries of photographs, and some of the other pages are graphic intensive. In total the most we have ever used is 4gb in one month.

The best place to go to look into those types of things is webhostingforum.com, and it is always wise to check into any host you do decide to use (free or not).