Friday 16 May 2008

Bees buzzing.. or needle buzzing?

This time I'm only showing the bottom of the design so we can see the stitches closer...

Winter is back in beautiful England, and I have to switch the light on even in the morning, so of course my pictures are crappy. I had to do 2 extra rows of four sided stitches this morning, it's hell. Still one to go in the design...

The thing is the fabric thread on top of those stitches shows, separate from the rest... So I don't have nice holes. But at this point, I don't care, the overall design doesn't suffer, so....

I have a very important question to you all: how should finish this design?

I don't feel like framing it. I was thinking to make a cushion similar to the chickadees, but it might be too big ! So I'm looking for original ideas.... come on, even things you feels are a bit so so...

Chiloe, "De Fil en Aiguille" is the only French magazine I look at usually. And I buy it sometimes, but only if there are stuff I want to stitch. Mind you, I never stitched anything from those magazines... But their finishings are inspiring.

I don't know if I write my blog for me or for others. I think it's more for others. If it was only for me, I would only keep my Picassa album, with technical details about my projects, end of story. I like to read other people's blogs. And usually the way I write is what I like in other's blogs. So yes, I guess this whole thing is very complex...

A note for French people reading in English: I don't translate things litterally. I re-write in French, to say about the same thing. It's part of my French/English switch brain. But it means that I often write different things in both languages... Especially when it's specific to French people ;)

So it's worth skimming through the French version too...

Patternnuts, I'm glad you entered a phase of "I speak my mind" (yes, I do read your blog... ;)) Do you still subscribe to the magazines? You know, CrossStitcher's blog is now presenting the issues, with pictures of the projects... It's a way of knowing what's coming. I hope you get back to your satin project, I'm kinda rubbish at that stitch for some reason...

-----------------------------------

Ceci est une photo de juste le bas du projet, afin de le voir de plus pres... J'ai du faire encore 2 lignes de "pulled work", je deteste ca, surtout que le fil de la toile au dessus se desolidarise et est apparent. Je sais pas pourquoi. Mais bon, comme ca ne change pas grand chose au global... pas grave.

Par contre, j'ai une question importante. Je ne veux pas encadrer ce projet, donc je suis la recherche d'idees pour en faire quelque chose. Au depart je pensais faire un coussin comme les messages, mais ca ferait un peu grand. Alors... qui a des idees?

Chiloe, "De fil en aiguille" est le seul mag que je feuillette systematiquement quand je viens en France, et que j'achete parfois. Je n'ai encore rien fait de ces magazines, mais les "finishes" sont sympa et originaux.

Je ne sais pas si j'ecris mon blog pour moi ou pour les autres... Si c'etait uniquement pour moi, je ne graderais que mon album Picassa, avec les details techniques pour avoir une reference de mes projets. J'aime lire les autres blogs, donc j'ecris dans le style qui me plait. Je suppose que tout ca est en effet complexe...

9 comments :

Anonymous said...

merci pour ton tip pour le satin stitch des fois j'ai du mal. Belle avancée, certains points ont l'air fastidieux! Je ne te serai pas bien utile pour une idée de finition pour celui là, ce n'est pas mon fort les finitions!! Et continue à écrire de long articles, moi j'iame ça! Bon, ok, tu n'écrit pas que pour moi! lol
bisous bisous

Jenn M said...

Wow, it's looking like such an "heirloom" piece with all that pulled thread work. I get short of breath when I think of trying that! Would you consider a bellpull? (or are you the one who doesn't like bellpulls? It's someone who's blog I read all the time)
Good luck!
Jenn

Leeland said...

You're really talented at those special stitches you know...
What size is your sampler? And don't you think the stitches might "suffer" if you don't finish it "traditionally"?
Hugs!
Lili

patternnuts said...

Yes I still get WOCS and CrossStitcher (UK). I really like them. Even if the charts aren't to my liking in an issue, the articles and layout are so much better than the US ones. Not to mention I just can't resist Tatty Teddy and the RSPCA patterns. :) (But it is expensive subscribing to them.)
And thank you, I may get back to it. I keep thinking about it. Maybe I should tackle my UFO's and just get them out of the way. Lol.
So you read me? :) thanks. I don't get many comments but I see that people are popping in, or at least according to my sitemeter and the live traffic feed, as accurate as they are anyways.

June said...

San,you are such a talented stitcher that I am sure whatever way you decide to finish it will be beautiful. If you want my opinion, I would just frame it and hang it on the wall.

Zeb said...

It's a lovely design and I like the idea Jenn's crafty world gave, about putting it together as a bell pull, but more "old" style?

I am glad YOU blog, cause you're one of the few I find interesting :)

Ginny said...

The bottom looks as nice as the top. No ideas for finishing, though. I think the cross stitching world needs some new finishing ideas!

Alas, I do not know French; I hope I'm not missing too much by sticking to the English!

stitcherw said...

Bee harmony is looking so pretty, I love the colors and the specialty stitches that are in it. As for finishing, maybe a bellpull style with a quilted edging around the sides and fabric tabs on the top would be pretty.

Your earlier finish of Strawberries turned out adorable, the LHN designs are such fun to do. Sorry the weather there is being so dreary, hopefully you have sunshine back again soon.
Sue

Sandra said...

Wow this is lovely! A real piece of art. I'm waiting for a drawn thread book, hope it get here soon!!!

What fabric is best for this kind of work?