Wednesday 30 July 2008

In the mind of a crafter - tatted dragon

Since ever I had my tatting equipment in a small drawstring padded bag. It was made by my grandma when I was very little, and was the pending small equivalent of a bag she made for my mom (same fabric, same padding...)

Problem is, it's a bit bulky to put in my hand bag. So I decided to make a little pouch of my own.

Then my mind kept on going... If I put stitching on my cross stitch pouches, why wouldn't I put tatted motifs on this one?

And I found "Paprika the dragon" pattern on the net, so... And I added a flower because it seems a bit bare. Still is, I might make an edging, and maybe stems, more flowers...

The dragon was fiddly to do, with all the twists... and to be honnest, I really had to sew it on fabric so that it keeps its shape !!!

No tutorial for the pouch yet, as I started with "I will build the pouch (cut fabric, pin down) and sew the dragon so I can take a picture", and ended with a pounch entirely hand sewn. You know how it is, you're in the lounge, you keep your hands busy while DBF is talking and the tv is on.... and the pouch is finished before you realise it !!!!

And now I'm making another snowflake, "tree size" this time...

Annie, you have a few technical questions about tatting... No, the shuttle doesn't hold enough thread for the whole snowflake design. But that snowflake is built in several parts anyway: the "center flower", then each branch individually. So even if I had enought thread on a massive shuttle, I would still have to cut and reattach... Do you think you will do some tatting? that would be great, you do such original things with all your crafts, the comforting dolls and all...

Thank you all for your suggestions for the big snowflake. It looks like whichever option I take, I will have to starch it hard !!! It's still a long time before Christmas...

---------------------------------

Mes affaires de frivolites ont toujours ete dans une petite pochette faite par ma grand mere quand j'etais toute petite, pochette qui etait la version miniature d'un sac fait pour ma mere. Malheureusement sa forme ronde et le rembourrage fait qu'il est difficile de le mettre dans mon sac a main. Donc il me fallait une pochette plus petite pour le transport...

Et evidemment, si je mets des broderies sur mes pochettes de broderie, il etait logique de mettre des motifs de frivolite sur cette pochette-ci !!!

Et je suis tombee sur le modele de "Paprika the dragon", que je voulais absolument faire.... J'ai ajoute une petite fleur pour que ce soit moins vide, et encore la, je trouve que ca manque de quelque chose... donc je vais surement ajouter une bordure, des tiges, etc...

De toute facon, ce dragon ne tiendrait pas tout seul s'il n'etait pas cousu, il y a tant de torsions !!!!

J'ai encore oublie le tuto... Car au depart, je ne pensais pas faire la pochette en entier. Je voulais juste coudre le dragon pour que je puisse faire la photo pour le blog. Mais j'ai voulu batir, puis au fur et a mesure, la pochette etait entierement cousue... a la main !!!

Sinon ben j'ai commence un autre flocon de neige, de la bonne taille pour un sapin cette fois-ci...

7 comments :

Annie said...

I adore that dragon! I would love to be able to tat, but I just remember having so much trouble figuring out a way to build up speed. Recently some people have suggested I try needle tatting. I don't now much about that, but I might do some research to see if it suits me.

Do you line your zippered pouches? I line the ones I make, but I'm thinking of trying an unlined one and using some iron-on fusible interfacing on the inside instead.

Anonymous said...

J'aime bien le petit dragon il est tres mignon !!!

Jane Eborall said...

I LOVE the dragon. All Martha's patterns are so good. It looks lovely. Well done.
JaneEb

Unknown said...

What a sweet little tatting bag! I love that you embellished it with tatting. It's so cute.

Nathdmc said...

Waouhhhh !!!!! Superbe !!!! Mais tu y prends un réel plaisir au tatting à ce que je vois ???? lol, tu as bien raison c'est superbe et tes motifs pas mémére ce qui ne gâte rien !!!!!
Félicitations !
Pour quoi n'est-tu pas douée, dit ??????? mdr
Big bizoux et Bonne continuation,
Nath.

Unknown said...

Welcome back to the wonderful world of tatting. Your tatting pouch looks very nice and the dragon is wonderful. Don't worry about the tatting list closing it will continue somehow.

Anonymous said...

C'est très joli! Ann